Sunday, May 19, 2013

First Day of Real Training

After church and lunch with some friends, Candy asked if I wanted to go hiking today. I told her that I was going to start next week once school/work was out for the summer, but I thought "what the hay". This could be the first day to my "real" training this pilgrimage.

I found out real quick that I am an old bird out of shape. After about 20 minutes of hiking, I broke out in a BIG sweat. Really?? Something must be done about this. Now the transition from spring to summer in Alabama can be rough at times. Like today...it was humid, muggy, and hot! This doesn't make the adventure any easier for this sad, out-of-shape person.

Climbs like this one were frequent today....no pain, no gain.


Candy and I did have a new hiking companion...Hailey


Even through all the pain climbing, we got to walk through some great parts of nature on this little adventure.



The best part was seeing all the waterfalls and flowing creeks. You can really tell that we have been having some rain down here in the south.



On the way back from practically rock climbing, we see this sign.
"Peavine Falls Area: <<CAUTION>> Rocky, Steep, Rocky VERY DANGEROUS AREA. Enter at YOUR OWN RISK"


 Maybe this is why Candy cut her leg...
No matter what Candy says, I did NOT push her! She tripped and fell on a rock. 


We ended up hiking for a little over 2 hours. I forgot about the pedometer app on my phone, so I don't know how far we went (maybe next time). It doesn't really matter at this point. What does matters is that I was hot, sweaty, and tired. There was an unintentional nap on the ride home. Great way to start the first day of my heavy duty training.

No comments:

Post a Comment