Friday, May 2, 2014

Hopelessly Trying to Get Prepared

You know that you're trip that you've been planning for 2 years is almost here when your dentist says "we need to get this fixed before you leave for Spain", and you doctor says "we need to get you well before you leave". I thought that the day for me to leave would NEVER come, but it has--it's just around the corner. I have been counting down the days until I board the plane, and hopelessly trying to learn Spanish (I have come to the conclusion that I am learning impaired when it comes to languages).

The Airport
I have studied the layout of the Paris airport. That place is HUGE! I never thought that an airport could have so many levels. When I get off the plane, I will make my first stop to immigration. Where is immigration you ask, heck if I know! After looking at about 5 or 6 different maps, there is no mention of where immigration/customs is location. This is going to be interesting. The buses stations on the other hand, were nicely marked on each map, and close to the terminal I should be arriving at.

Training
I have been trying to get a little in here and there. I have tried to dedicate 3 days a week to doing kickboxing (trying to build some endurance for the Pyrenees). This is what I did when I was training for the Spartan Race and it helped tremendously! Therefore, there is hope that it will work it's magic again.

Pack Weight
I am happy to announce that my pack officially weights 5.27 kg (11.6 lb)! This does not include food and water. My goal was 5.67 kg (12.5 lb). Whoot whoot, I'm under my goal! On a different note about my pack, Candy would be proud to know that I have made sure that my pack includes a sarong. Thanks to Ebay, I was able to get a silk one from India for less than $10. Score!

Mapping It Out
Brother Tom, I am expecting you to keep an accurate account of my where-abouts with that map of yours. Br. Tom is going to keep with where I am each day and place pins in a map with the correlating location. Nothing like the pressure to post everyday! It will be pretty neat to see when I get back (The pressure is on Brother Tom for to keep up your map now, he he he).

Final "To Do" List
Since I marked off all things from the "sticky notes" on my computer for things to get, I had to make a list for things that needed to be done before I leave. My "to do" list is almost compete! There's nothing like the feeling of making a list and being able to mark things off.

Make list of bills that need to be paid
 Get travel insurance
Get Euros from the bank
Talk to Verizon
Make substitute plans
Get medicine for Pete (my dog)
Treat clothes and sleeping bag with bug spray
Pack backpack

Final Thoughts
Each day I go into my classroom and start getting things ready for the end of the year, and it just makes me more and more excited. It helps me to know that my departing day is getting a little bit closer. I do have to say that it is getting a little harder to sleep now that I it's actually May.

I would like to thank everyone who has been praying about this trip, and sharing in my excitement. I am still not sure what I God will show me while I'm gone, but I know that it's got to be good, right?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment